yum pulling in 386 packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Sep 24 15:20:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 09:54 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Why keep the i386 versions in the repo?  It would be better to write
> down the rules that are used to pull i386 packages into the x86_64
> repo and then make a yum plugin that can point to the i386 repo and
> follow the rules (when enabled).

There's a lot of sense in this. One of the options being discussed is to
ship _nothing_ of the secondary arch (or almost nothing) in the primary
repository, and allow yum to be pointed at the basic i386 repo.

Of course, that means we've suddenly got a whole load of i386 packages
visible to x86_64 yum which weren't there before; with the current
install-both behaviour that wouldn't work too well. But as part of a
more coherent approach, I think it's the way forward.

Note that for some 64-bit architectures like sparc64/ppc64 we run mostly
32-bit userspace, because 64-bit userspace just isn't worth the bloat
(the only reason it's worth the bloat for x86 is because you actually
get a sane number of _registers_ that way). So the 32-bit tree would
probably still carry a _few_ 64-bit packages there (kernel, gdb,
systemtap, etc.).

--
dwmw2