Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:53:06 UTC 2007

on 9/24/2007 12:06 PM, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 15:43 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
>> On 18/09/2007, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> No, it's just getting rid of the assumption that you have to log in as
>>> root to administrate something.
>> Even when one of the things you want to do is:
>>
>> umount /home
>> system-config-lvm
>> mount -a
>
> Well ... in fairness, the original argument was between giving root an X
> Windows session to do administration vs. administering from a regular
> user X Window session.
>
> If administrative tasks like the one you mentioned happens often, then I
> suggest those systems create at least one user whose $HOME isn't
> in /home. :-p

What I said the other, and I still feel this way, was that *if* you are
the qualified admin of this system you should know how to change the 'no
root GUI' default setting to allow root to login with a WM desktop. You
should not but you should know how to do this.

Or how to get to a root login without X when already logged as 'you' in a
WM, login as root an start an X session for your WM. And later how to
logout as root get back to logged in as 'you' in an X session DM.

Or how to do admin duties from a terminal in a 'you' DM by logging and
doing them from the CLI. Or, will in the terminal windows how to start, as
root, the GUI frontends that you would like to use.

Remember I said "qualified admin"? If you really are one of those you
should know how to do some, actually you should know how to do all, of
these. If you don't know how to do these. IMO you are not a "qualified
admin". And you have no business even being root.

Me? I am *not* qualified to admin a system but I know how to do all of
these examples.
--

  David