truecrypt

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Sep 25 19:43:36 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 25 September 2007 at 20:39, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 12:55:30PM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Has anyone looked at truecrypt?  Looks interesting.  I D/L the source, but
> > it says:
> >
> >   Note that Linux kernel headers, located in the 'include' directory, are
> >   not sufficient for compilation of the TrueCrypt kernel module. Fields of
> >   'dm_dev' structure must be accessed by TrueCrypt but they are defined only
> > in
> >   an internal kernel header 'drivers/md/dm.h'. No appropriate accessor
> > function
> >   is available. The complete source code of the Linux kernel is required for
> >   compilation of the kernel module.
>
> Truecrypt is awesome, but their license[0] is a bit questionable.  It's a
> hybrid of a bunch of different licenses and has some interesting
> distribution clauses.  IANAL, so we definitely would want to run it by
> fedora-legal-list if we hope to get truecrypt into Fedora.  There has also
> been some talk about this license in the Debian community:
>
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/06/msg00294.html
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/07/msg00008.html
>
> luke
>
> [0]: http://www.truecrypt.org/license.php

Here are src.rpms with tools and kmod:
http://rpm.greysector.net/livna/

Feel free to submit them to livna/rpmfusion. I don't have time to maintain
them, but I made those when I was looking for a cryptofs solution for both
Linux and Windows (and settled on LUKS instead).

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora contributor http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski