No hardware clock in kernel-2.6.23-0.202.rc8.fc8.x86_64

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Sep 26 17:04:21 UTC 2007

I get the following messages immediately after the Welcome...press 'I'
messages on startup:

        Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.  Use the
        --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
        method.
        Setting clock (utc): <date and time> [OK]
        Starting udev: udevd-event[1316]: node_symlink: device node
        '/dev/rtc/' already exists, link to '/dev/rtc0' will not
        overwrite it.

After logging in I run ls -l /dev/rtc*, and I get:

        crw------- 1 root root  10, 135 2007-09-26 12:44 /dev/rtc
        crw-r--r-- 1 root root 254,   0 2007-09-26 12:44 /dev/rtc0

Running hwclock --debug produces:

        hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.13
        hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=19: No such device.
        No usable clock interface found.
        Cannot access the Hardware Clock by any known method.

On shutdown, the attempt to write the time to the hardware clock also
fails (of course).

This is a Thinkpad T61.  I don't think this occurred with earlier F8T2
kernels.  The device properties are the same as on my F7 machine, a
Thinkpad T41.

Thanks.
--
                Matthew Saltzman