[RFC] /var versus /srv

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:28:11 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> wrote:

> On another note, could we please stop the +1 and -1 garbage replies to people?  Just say you agree or disagree.  Where did the +1 and -1 trend come from because it's really freaking annoying.

Amateur historian hat on

This usage of +1/-1 has been in various places, but seems to have
become mainstream sometime in the late 1990's when Slashdot
implemented its first karma system. People would ask other people who
had karma to +1/-1 an article/comment/etc because they felt it was
important etc. It then started being used on other lists as a common
meme as anyone who was anyone was reading Slashdot (even if not
admitting it).

Getting it to stop will be at this point like getting the press not to
call criminal software users 'hackers'.