NetworkManager-0.7 can't make new wireless connection

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Sep 26 22:35:02 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:16:28 +0000
> Matthew Saltzman <mjs at CLEMSON.EDU> wrote:
>
> > OK did that.  Now left-click pulls up the usual menu, but all
> > selections are greyed out, except VPN Connections.
>
> Did you logout/reboot after installing those updates?  The
> NetworkManager service would need to be restarted, and the new
> nm-applet has to be running.  (oh and the new wpa_supplicant has to be
> running too)

Yes.

If I plug in a wire, the wired entry turns un-greyed and NM connects.
But the wireless options are never un-greyed.  I even rmmodded and
modprobed iwl3945.  The wireless options disappear completely, but
eventually come back greyed out.  There is no indication that a network
has been seen, but that's not surprising as the netowrk's SSID is hidden
and NM isn't aware of it yet.

Also noticed that if I stop NM and try to connect with ifup, I have to
rmmod and modprobe iwl3945 before I can get it to work.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu