Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 11:23:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> With strictly the media support ( ugly-plugins etc. ) and the
> rpmfusion repo installed,
> and excluding AMD and Nvidia drivers
> will we need Rename the spin or could it be released under Fedora name
> and artwork? * Legal/others

No.  You are including content that is not in Fedora, therefor you
cannot use the Fedora trademark and cannot use the trademarked logos.
You would have some renaming work ahead of you.

> If needed to change the name/artwork would FedoriansFusion be A OK
> If naming/artwork is changed could we include the AMD and Nvidia
> drivers?

Once you change the name, you can do whatever the heck you want with
it, under the laws and restrictions of the particular country where
it's being produced.  I would suggest consulting a lawyer as to what
laws apply (in particular with offering encryption technology).

> Will this be available on fedoraprojects.org as in
> will Max Spevack put his money where is mouth is so I quote Max
> "So go forth and mix your own Fedora. And then come back and share it
> with us, and we’ll put it up on the _*Fedora website for others to
> use also.*_"
> ref. ( http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/ )
> Or was this just a pr c...

Remix implies that you take the package set and do something
interesting with it, not just add a bunch of stuff from outside
Fedora.  Furthermore, regardless of location, Fedora isn't interested
in patent encumbered software, as it's not free for /everybody/.  It's
entirely uninteresting to promote such a thing.

> It would be interesting download stats Fedora VS Fedora with media
> support :)

Not really.

--
Jesse Keating