Fedora spin from RpmFusion

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Fri Sep 28 12:20:09 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
> ""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
>

>> With strictly the media support ( ugly-plugins etc. ) and the
>> rpmfusion repo installed,
>> and excluding AMD and Nvidia drivers
>> will we need Rename the spin or could it be released under Fedora name
>> and artwork? * Legal/others
>>

> No.  You are including content that is not in Fedora, therefor you
> cannot use the Fedora trademark and cannot use the trademarked logos.
> You would have some renaming work ahead of you.

I guessed so.. and replacing the artwork as well right?
>> If needed to change the name/artwork would FedoriansFusion be A OK
>> If naming/artwork is changed could we include the AMD and Nvidia
>> drivers?
>>

> Once you change the name, you can do whatever the heck you want with
> it, under the laws and restrictions of the particular country where
> it's being produced.  I would suggest consulting a lawyer as to what
> laws apply (in particular with offering encryption technology).

Encryption added to the checklist..

But would I still be allowed to update and use Fedora repos right?

As in how deep would I need to go in renaming things?
Removing every image containing the Fedora logo and every instance of
the word Fedora.
Repackage?

>> Will this be available on fedoraprojects.org as in
>> will Max Spevack put his money where is mouth is so I quote Max
>> "So go forth and mix your own Fedora. And then come back and share it
>> with us, and we’ll put it up on the _*Fedora website for others to
>> use also.*_"
>> ref. ( http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/ )
>> Or was this just a pr c...
>>

> Remix implies that you take the package set and do something
> interesting with it, not just add a bunch of stuff from outside
> Fedora.  Furthermore, regardless of location, Fedora isn't interested
> in patent encumbered software, as it's not free for /everybody/.  It's
> entirely uninteresting to promote such a thing.

Mean what are the exact issue with for example libdvdcss ? licenced GPL

In other words for me do get my spin hosted on fedora project I can only
play
with fedora packages in fedora repo and how *my* setup is aka spin correct?

As in  my spins do not include Emacs because Emacs sucks as an editor
compared to Vi..

No offense Emacs users this was just an example...

>> It would be interesting download stats Fedora VS Fedora with media
>> support :)
>>

> Not really.

For me it it would.

Would it increase the usage of Fedora?

Also would like to see what would be the next issue if the media problem
would
go away from user perspective.

( As in the user didn't have to bother to take some extra steps him self
work out of the box kinda thing. )

Best regards.
          Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801