Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Sep 28 14:07:53 UTC 2007

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote :

> We gonna start an Rpmfusion Fedora spin giving user
> the much wanted/needed media support in Fedora.

My take on this (initially posted to the rpmfusion list) :

"We should not. I think it's just not worth it, especially since it
would have to be called something completely different, and include non
trademarked artwork.

What we need to do is get the feature to use add-on media at
installation time working again in Fedora. I had made a proof of
concept CD with freshrpms packages which could be used with a Fedora
installation a while back, but this has been "broken" ever since
anaconda switched to using yum as a backend (AFAIR).

Work will be better spent on fixing Fedora, that way we can just
provide an add-on CD which could be used at install time and provide
extra categories to pick from in order to install codecs, programs, and
of course enable rpmfusion in yum.

FWIW, here is my "announcement" of the CD (it was for FC4) :
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2006-January/013758.html
...notice the absolute zero feedback, though :-("

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.22.6-81.fc7
Load : 0.28 0.36 0.40