/etc/hosts and system entries

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Fri Sep 28 14:11:17 UTC 2007

fre 2007-09-28 klockan 14:56 +0100 skrev Bill Crawford:

> However I don't know how plugging dsl in works with the latest F8
> release because I have no internet connection at home and I'm not
> risking my work desktop on f8t[n] because if I can't work, I can't
> work ...

My laptop changes IP often. I keep the hostname fixed though. I really
couldn't care less about the PTR record of the WaveLAN I'm currently on.

And, ugh, I just discovered it has a /etc/hosts with this and only this:

::1 hostname.domain hostname localhost.localdomain localhost

I gotta change that and see what happens. And why isn't that localhost6?
I thought that was the default... Now I'm confused.

/abo