Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Sep 28 18:49:35 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
> ""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
>
>> With strictly the media support ( ugly-plugins etc. ) and the
>> rpmfusion repo installed,
>> and excluding AMD and Nvidia drivers
>> will we need Rename the spin or could it be released under Fedora name
>> and artwork? * Legal/others
>
> No.  You are including content that is not in Fedora, therefor you
> cannot use the Fedora trademark and cannot use the trademarked logos.
> You would have some renaming work ahead of you.

I don't believe this is strictly true.  I can't seem to find the correct
link with the info from legal, but I'm 99.9% certain that if you find a
way to put together an iso which

a) has a complete, identifiable-as-such, copy of 'the fedora software'
(which I'll just take as a blessed fedora iso.)

and

b) custom non-blessed patches

and

c) the user can select on boot/install whether or not to boot the pure
blessed fedora version, or the patched fedora version with obvious
messages that the patches are not blessed,

then this type of composition may in fact use the fedora artwork, etc...

Please don't make an uninformed response to this mail before reading the
legal trademark guidlines which specifically mention this 'supplying
patches with the blessed fedora that the user may clearly choose, or
choose not to use at boot/install time'.

(not a verbatim quote, as all the links in this message which held the
new policy are now broken-

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-August/msg02287.html

(another broken link)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines