Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Sep 28 22:09:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:01:32 -0400
Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 10:56 -0600, Lamont Peterson wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
> > "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
> >
> > > We gonna start an Rpmfusion Fedora spin giving user
> > > the much wanted/needed media support in Fedora.
> >
> > With yum based Anaconda, I can add any repos I want to at install
> > time and then select a customized set of packages from all of
> > them.  This means that if you produce a CD/DVD that I can download
> > and you put the proper repodata/ (and comps?) on the disc, then I
> > can use it.
>
> Well, except that at that point during the install, we have the CD
> mounted and so you can't unmount to swap CDs.

True, and I had thought about that while writing my message and I probably should have mentioned it.  Of course, I can't remember the last time I did a CD/DVD install for any of my machines.  Gotta love PXE. :)

>  Changing that probably
> means committing to partitioning changes sooner

I not sure that it would.  After all, yum can deal with swapping CDs and it will ask you for whichever one it wants next, which should also work for multiple-DVD installs as long as there isn't an assumption of how many discs a DVD can install can be.  It is nice that it always asks for them in order, as I don't have to think about what disc is going to come next.  Even still, I'm sure there would have to be a couple of things to deal with.  Someone getting it put together and out there for testing would certainly help nail that down. :)

> (currently, we delay
> them until right before packages install unless you need early swap)
> so that we can move the install image to the hard disk.  And then
> there may be a little bit of subtlety in ensuring that the ordering
> of package installation ends up right.  But it's mostly a matter of
> someone sitting down, writing some code and doing some testing.
>
> > But why would you want to produce such an image?  It would be out of
> > date before the first person finished downloading it.  It might
> > work, as long as people do not include any live over-the-network
> > updated or updates repos in their installs.  So, I guess it would
> > be useful when someone has a need to install in an isolated
> > environment/network without Internet access.
> >
> > So, I'm not sure if it would be that useful or not.
>
> There are a lot of cases like the above where it is useful.  Also
> cases where people only have sporadic network access.  Or slower
> network access and get media from a friend.  Or connect via something
> more esoteric that anaconda doesn't support setting up.  So there's
> definitely value in doing the work

Even more good examples.  Thanks. :)
- --
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.