Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Sep 28 22:36:52 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>(The following really has been asked and answered in numerous times
>before...)

But technology and published legal guidelines change...

>> C. An respin with no affiliation with Red Hat/Fedora is made that include
>>    the "questionable packages and repos" and the user does not have to
>>    do any work from his half ( work out of the box solution )
>
> If this is done, it should be rebranded and not called Fedora.

'should' is one of those words...

By my reading of the current trademark guidelines (before they
disappeared from

http://rhold.fedoraproject.org/About/legal/trademarks/guidelines/

it is totally possible (with a little initrd guru-dom) to repackage the
fedora-8-livecd iso (other isos too, but I'll use this as an example),
such that mp3 and rpmfusion(or other arbitrary repos) work 'out of the box'.

Just make a new iso, that contains the old iso as is, with a new initrd
and bootloader, that present the user with two choices-

a) "boot the official unmodified fedora-8-live image"

or

b) "boot the official fedora-8-live image, patched with mp3 support and
software repository configuration that the fedora organization does not
support or condone in any way"

>> Software that is/has been developed that can be misused to break "laws"
>> tho it's initial creation and function of the software was never indented
>> to do so will never be included in Red Hat/Fedora
>> ( Even tho that package is gpl and source is made publicly available )
>> made available, in Red Hat/Fedora
>>
>> Just so things can be settled..
>
> If the software is infringing patents, it cannot be included regardless
> of it's copyright license.

Given that the fedora trademark guidelines allow the above (seriously
they do, I was very surprised when I read them myself), and given that
some individuals and organizations may live in different countries, or
have lawyers that come to different conclusions about what laws their
country permits, I think the above should make everyone happy.

No, such software compositions as described above would not be hosted by
fedora, but hey, that's what bittorrent is for...

-dmc

(P.S.- please rel-eng-team, keep the official livecd iso as far under
700M as possible, wink wink, nudge nudge...)