Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Sep 29 01:19:15 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>  >
>>> (The following really has been asked and answered in numerous times
>>> before...)
>>

>> But technology and published legal guidelines change...
>
> Not every other week in this context.

>>> If this is done, it should be rebranded and not called Fedora.
>>

>> 'should' is one of those words...
>>
>> By my reading of the current trademark guidelines (before they
>> disappeared from
>>
>> http://rhold.fedoraproject.org/About/legal/trademarks/guidelines/
>>
>> it is totally possible (with a little initrd guru-dom) to repackage
>> the fedora-8-livecd iso (other isos too, but I'll use this as an
>> example), such that mp3 and rpmfusion(or other arbitrary repos) work
>> 'out of the box'.

[unsnip]
Just make a new iso, that contains the old iso as is, with a new initrd
and bootloader, that present the user with two choices-

a) "boot the official unmodified fedora-8-live image"

or

b) "boot the official fedora-8-live image, patched with mp3 support and
software repository configuration that the fedora organization does not
support or condone in any way"
[/unsnip]

> I believe you are incorrect in this reading given everything I heard on
> this topic so far.
>
> Rahul

Ok, thanks to MikeMC, I can defend my position from

http://fedoraproject.org/legal/trademarks/guidelines/page5.html

"
Shipping Fedora™ code unmodified from the original download with
separate patches that may be applied by the end user at his/her
discretion is not a modification of the original code, provided:

    1.

       The original Fedora™ code is intact and identifiable at the time
of installation and on the media on which the code is delivered;
    2.

       The patches are provided independent of the original Fedora™ code
and are identifiable on the media on which the code is delivered;
    3.

       The end user is given the discretion as to whether to install the
patches; and
    4.

       Any marketing materials related to such a distribution make clear
that the vendor is providing patches which, if installed by the user,
will modify the Fedora™ code from its original form.
"

Please tell me how my above thoeretical repackaging of fedora does not
fall into this *very* explicitly permitted scenario.

-dmc