[RFC] /var versus /srv

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Sat Sep 29 11:41:10 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> writes:

> Very often your critical data has not inflated like consumer OSes, so
> the trend goes the other way (increasing OS data weight).

So a home machine has more critical data than an enterprise network
server? Hmm...

> And you still
> have backup space constrains because many systems are connected to the
> same backup hardware.

So what? Shared backup hardware is just cheaper.
You always have space constrains, SOHO or large scale.

> [Several questions that show you've got absolutely no understanding of
>  real-life enterprise contexts

Nice argument :-)

> You're assuming every system connected to an enterprise backup system is
> critical

No, I don't. I was under impression that we are talking about essential
systems. Non-essential systems may not require any backup at all - why
would you backup something if you'd never want to restore it?
--
Krzysztof Halasa