Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Sep 30 16:55:34 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> But you do see, that our point of disagreement is over whether or not
>> what I described was a 'modification'.  I.e. your question is
>> irrelevant to the conversation, since no modification is taking place.
>
> I wasn't merely concerned about what you are doing. I was talking about
> the trademark guideline clauses which allow certain kind of
> modifications while retaining the name and whether they fit with the
> current project goals.

Can you give me an example of a permitted modification that is currently
allowed that you think should not be?

>>> Sure I'd love to have a legal license
>>>
>>> Such a restriction wouldn't qualify as Free software at all.
>>
>> That was my point.
>
> Copyright licenses and trademark guidelines are two different things. I
> could for example have Free software with trademark guidelines that
> didn't allow certain kind of things.  If you want to do those things,
> you merely have to fork like Firefox and IceWeasel.  The trademark
> requirements on Firefox the name does not make Firefox the software
> non-free.

Can trademark guidelines on free software restrict the ability to
redistribuite bit-for-bit copies of the software, that don't use the
trademarks in any other way than the fact that they are included in
those bits?

-dmc