ubuntu bulletproof x

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Sep 1 21:03:49 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:

> If I were being cynical, I'd say a large part of the reason they'll be
> moderately successful at this whole 'bulletproof' thing is due to work
> I've already put in to fixing autoconfiguration within X itself, and
> that the press releases are just so much propaganda.  Don't get me
> wrong, Fedora sucks at self-publicity, we should do better, but all I
> see in that project is prettier UI and not technical correctness.  If
> you do it _right_, you don't ever have to admit failure.  Asking for the
> inf file is admitting failure.

I suspect you'll tell me why I'm wrong-  But aren't there (a significant
number of) situations where autodetect fails, and in fact due to
hardware limitations can't succeed, but the process of the user
specifying the monitor type, and info, from the driver CD, will cause
success?

Even if those situations account for 1/10,000 users, those are precisely
the cases that need to be covered to market something as "bulletproof".

Now of course, it won't solve the problem of the user getting confused
and using the wrong CD for the monitor...

-dmc