iwl3945 - kill switch issue - how do I contribute

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 10:59:24 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, dragoran <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Hi, I have HP nx7300 laptop with Intel 3945ABG wifi card.
> >
> > It doesn't work under rawhide and I get a message after loading
> > iwl3945 module that my RF Kill Switch is ON even if it is OFF !
> >

> maybe you are just confused here
> killswitch ON means card OFF
> killswitch OFF means card ON

My killswitch is OFF this means that card should be ON, but it shows
as the switch is ON and therefore card if OFF no matter what I do.

# cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:10\:00.0/rf_kill
2

AFAIK there are 4 value for rf_kill, like the following,
0 -- means both software/hardware rf_kill are disabled;
1 -- means software rf_kill is enable;
2 -- means hardware rf_kill is enable;
3 -- means both software/hardware rf_kill are disabled

> btw works for me (iwl3945; kernel-2.6.22.4-65.fc7; hw killswitch)
>
> does your card have an software or hardware killswitch?

I have hardware killswitch as you can see:

# cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:10\:00.0/rf_kill
2

AFAIK "2" stands for hardware switch - which I disable but kernel
doesn't register it and is says that it is still enabled. In previous
versions of fedora it worked as it shouls. When I enable my wifi
(disable kill swithc) it works... and vice versa - not it just doesn't
work.

> also what do you mean by "device list" does networkmanager not detect it?

how can I check for this?

see for your self:

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.

> I submitted patches for upstream hal to support iwl3945/4965 and ipw*
> killswitch so that nm works with them (patches are in hal 0.5.10-rcX
> which is in rawhide).
> > Where can I contribute my time and feedback? It fedora-devel an
> > appropriate mailing list or should I go upstream (where is iwl3945
> > project page?!?) ?
> >

> http://intellinuxwireless.org/
> If you want to bring it upstream post to ipw3945-devel
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ipw3945-devel

is this mailing list apropriate for iwl3945 or only for ipw3945?

Thank you for your feedback.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic