ubuntu bulletproof x

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 23:30:57 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> Honestly I can't vouch that this is ever the case.  It is pure
> speculation on my part.  But I for one get sick of hearing "you're
> hardware is broken, go suck an egg", when clearly that hardware is not
> broken enough to not work on windows, using the mechanisms they have in
> place (e.g. presumably reading the data from the driver cd).

Okay.... here is where the conversation stops.  If this is complete
speculation..then there is no constructive way forward.  Adam Jackson
has already commented that in his opinion what is provided in the inf
files is not enough to fix the problem.  I strongly suggest that you
go re-read everything that he wrote concerning the history of Fedora's
usage of the code Ubuntu is relying on now to parse inf files. Read
it... read it again.. and then when you think you understand it...read
it again.

Now.. it is up to anyone who disagrees with Mr. Jackson's informed
historical account of the usefulness of inf parsing.. to dig out an
inf file for a specific piece of hardware that doesn't currently work
with Fedora's auto-detection and show...specifically..that the
information provided in the inf file is enough to fix the issues that
Mr. Jackson has stated can't be resolved with information from the inf
file. Stop arguing that the inf should have the information
necessary.. .and start showing that they do.

> (and again, for the sake of argument, lets pretend that doing anything
> from a command line, or editing a text file, or researching obscure
> specs about your monitor, is not an option for the users in question)

I FORBID arguments for arguments sake.  If you want to argue with me
about that, i suggest we open up a fedora-arguments-list.

> But again, this is speculation on my part.  Please correct me if I'm
> wrong.  :)

Adam Jackson has previously done just that... he wrote quite
succinctly that information in inf files is not enough to solve the
underlying problems.

-jef