ubuntu bulletproof x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 01:34:38 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't the fact that windows works with them a pretty good demonstration?
>
> Sadly we don't have access to that source code now do we. Please keep
> the rhetorical comments to a minimum.

Seems pretty objective to me...

  >> Is he suggesting that windows uses magic?  I thought he meant instead
>> that X doesn't use the information sensibly.
>
> Are you asking me to-reinterpret Mr. Jackson's statements for
> additional implied meaning?

Yes, in particular:

   "So you end up in some pretty hilarious situations, because
    X prefers width over height, so even though your monitor's
    1600x1200, the sync range is big enough to fit 1680x1050,
    so you'll try to fit that, and lose."

I interpret that as an X issue, not a lack of information in the inf file.

> Stop trolling for divisive commentary,

Telling other people what to do is about as divisive as you can get -
and it doesn't work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com