ubuntu bulletproof x

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:42:18 UTC 2007

On 9/2/07, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 9/2/07, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> >> To me, that seems like it might be enough.  The fact that ubuntu is
> >> investing so much energy in this, makes me suggest that there might be
> >> something to it.
> >
> > We've no idea how much "energy" Ubuntu is investing in this. We do
> > know they are re-using code available in hwdata as seen in rhl/fedora.
>

> Cmon man.  The fact that you see so much press about 'bulletproof-x'
> does give you "an idea" about how much "energy" ubuntu is investing in this.
>
> No, it doesn't tell you $1k, or $5k, or $250k, but it does tell you
> something.

I'm not much a fan of the "pop" thing, more interested in the "right" thing.

[ snip ]

> And perhaps, if fedora actually respected ubuntu, and kept up with their
> advances, rather than exclusively playing catch up, they wouldn't be
> having their asses handed to them.

What exactly are you talking about? Besides the fact that Fedora and
Ubuntu aren't in competition, you seem to have something in mind.
Please share.

> Yes, I know redhat has learned well from microsoft, that the way to be
> successful is to let others do the expensive trailblazing, and then only
> copy the trails that led to success, rather than those that led to
> failure.

Feel free to ask some kernel maintainer how much Canonical contributes
to the kernel.

>I have no problem with that attitude, I think it is
> intelligent.  But please, this is just a mailinglist where people
> routinely talk about blowing goats.

That's way beyond an exaggeration.

>So don't tell me to STFU like the
> rest of the people on this list can't handle the signal/noise ratio.

I can't. There's way too much noise on this particular thread.

( www.pembo13.com )