ubuntu bulletproof x

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Sep 3 04:18:32 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:

> [ snip ]
>
>> And perhaps, if fedora actually respected ubuntu, and kept up with their
>> advances, rather than exclusively playing catch up, they wouldn't be
>> having their asses handed to them.
>

> What exactly are you talking about? Besides the fact that Fedora and
> Ubuntu aren't in competition, you seem to have something in mind.
> Please share.

Fedora and Ubuntu aren't in competition?

You really don't think there are a significant number of linux users,
who make a choice between installing and using fedora, vs installing and
using ubuntu?

Really?

I'll admit that every project/enterprise can be a non-zero-sum game
where users are attracted that were not previously using a similar
product/project.  But to claim that there is no competition for users
between fedora and ubunutu is ludicrous,
IM-not-as-humble-as-it-ought-to-be-O.

>> Yes, I know redhat has learned well from microsoft, that the way to be
>> successful is to let others do the expensive trailblazing, and then only
>> copy the trails that led to success, rather than those that led to
>> failure.
>

> Feel free to ask some kernel maintainer how much Canonical contributes
> to the kernel.

And what percentage of lines of code in fedora is the kernel?

kernel != distro.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point.  But in the open source
world, where everybody is sharing yesterday's work equally, because that
is the beauty of it, the question is "what have you done for me lately?"

It would seem...  that going by the number of users ubuntu is pulling
in, that they have been doing something for their users.  Something that
IMO, fedora would be wise to respect and emulate.  I don't care if you
disagree, that is just what I think.  Note, I don't mean emulate to the
point of changing what fedora has learned to do right, over it's long
history.  I just mean that ajax's original response, sounded an aweful
lot like "these ubuntu folks are just marketing work that we did".  When
in fact, after a little digging at the real issue, it becomes apparent
that in order to make something "bulletproof", you have to be willing to
do some things that for perhaps quite valid reasons, ajax and fedora
seem quite unwilling to do.  (i.e. use data from inf file on windows
driver cd, at the expense of that tactic lowering the pressure on
monitor manufacturers to not ship monitors with non existent, or non
working edid implementations).

>> I have no problem with that attitude, I think it is
>> intelligent.  But please, this is just a mailinglist where people
>> routinely talk about blowing goats.
>

> That's way beyond an exaggeration.

Yes, but it was kind of funny wasn't it :)

>> So don't tell me to STFU like the
>> rest of the people on this list can't handle the signal/noise ratio.
>

> I can't. There's way too much noise on this particular thread.

And you are participating, rather than ignoring it because...?

I presume you do use a threaded email reader?  Or at least can visually
ignore a topic based on subject line?

-dmc