Services automaticly change firewall rules to open access to themselfs.

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 12:08:48 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007 07:53:35 Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > For the disk drive part of this, it already exists. smartd does self
> > tests on disks and logs the messages. These messages get reported by
> > logwatch in an email message once a day.

Does this only work for smart drives or all drives? What if you don't have
smartd installed? rsyslog has its hands on all the interesting data. Its in a
position to make these kind of alerts no matter what is installed on a
system.

> It would be nicer if smartd could call out to the notify daemon to make
> a window appear on the users desktop.
>
> Users do not read logwatch reports, the usually do not even get them.

Agreed. Besides, I've seen drives go from good to crap within an hour. A daily
report would be too late to be of use. I'd rather see us develop the
infrastructure for messaging around rsyslog so that each daemon does not need
to be modified if there was something that an admin wanted to be alerted for.

-Steve