My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon Sep 3 12:25:52 UTC 2007

Faster system-start/shutdown!  Service need to start on demand rather
then during the boot up process or
at least if anaconda/kudzu don't detect it don't enable it ( bluetooth,
printer service sis etc. ) It's better to have
the user to go through setup/installation/initializations process ( they
are used to it )
and  have  faster  startup than enable lots of unwanted/unneeded service
during startup "for everything works solution"!

Application need to be able to adjust firewall to allow access for them
selves. We don't like it but they noob user will and if
your arguments are, the application will mess up my highly complicated
netfilter/iptables firewall, routing rules than your
smart enough to be able to *hash* an check box who would disable this
feature in system-config-security, or at least offer
a wider selection of services to open in s-c-s especially  those who
need more than just an port opening ( protocol 47 48 50 51 etc.. ).
The noob user is not able to create there own *Custom* firewall rules.

Service should be bound to certain interface ( lo eth* ) instead being
configured default to listen to *.

Let the majority fedora user community decide what  should be the
default application to use in gnome/kde to open/play/view etc files
and which application will come with default installation ( in gnome/kde
), do research in what people are adding/changing/replacing
to get better hint of  what should be used as default app behavior or
better yet let fedora user vote what should be used in new release in fedora
( browser pluggin maybe that would ask user to vote on what (
apps/fetures ) they want to see in next release of fedora vote counted and
implemented after dev freeze? ).

Application user interface should be kept simple and simple to use with
advanced menu feature for the advanced user.

Things should work as much as possible out of the box .
99% what normal user is doing ( surfing the web, reading his email,
writing his paper etc should work out of the box ).
There must be a (legal)way to enable 3 party repos during the
installation process and set these things up for the noob user.
( moving the legal liability from fedora to the user, disclaimer or
something he has to read, approve and press ok for ).
If not move the Fedora HQ to Europe and create a legal and handicapped
Fedora
spin to be released in the states since everybody is so keen on suing
everybody in the states.
( we still have some sanity and dignity left here in Europe, I said some
:-)  For their defence the states are young as a nation
maybe this will grow of them. )

Offer encryption on user sensitive data during install or even by
default on hardrive.
 ( browser cache, email cache etc or maybe offer the user to have his
/home on encrypted partion ).
What we do ( Surf the web,what we spend our money on etc ) is being
monitor/catalog/profiled enough as is.
Atleas if somebody gets his hands on your box/drive/laptop lets give him
hard time to actually get your data.

Lets try to start do see things from noob user perspective and not
advanced/dev user perspective.
We advanced/developers can handle our selfs the noob cant!

Best regards
                  Johann B.

Ps.
     Why was minimal install ( no gui ) removed from anaconda?

/Fedora by the user for the user.../

--
Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801