My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Mon Sep 3 14:44:23 UTC 2007

> Martin Sourada wrote:
>

> > Yes, most ARE, but the one with services could be useful. There is a
> > batch of services that are useful on most of notebooks, but are unneeded
> > on most of Desktops/Servers and vice versa. And we'd like to get rid of
> > as much unneeded services as possible, so if we target the default ones
> > with a thought of the target platform, it would be IMHO more effective.
> > Maybe it could go to anaconda, but personally I think that first boot is
> > better place for that.
>
> Asking the user in this case is the wrong answer. Don't expect the user
> to cherry pick services to enable/disable during installation. If users
> want to do that they can do it post installation or use kickstart.
>
> Rahul

If we ask him do-you-want-to-turn-cups-hal-hcid-services-on kind of
question then yes. If we ask him do you have notebook, desktop or
server, than it is right to ask him. And having these three different
platforms means different needed services. Which precisely are these
need not to be known by the person who is questioned. But there are also
services we cannot know if user will need it or not, but still has such
names, that user cannot guess for what they are. Cups is one example.
Many users do not want this by default (they don't have a printer
connected to their PC), but others do, even if they are just ordinary
users, knowing nothing about services. If we ask them, do you want to
turn printer support on, he will know the answer. That is my point, I
hope it is clear enough.