My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 3 14:55:36 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> If we ask him do-you-want-to-turn-cups-hal-hcid-services-on kind of
> question then yes. If we ask him do you have notebook, desktop or
> server, than it is right to ask him.

Whether a system is a laptop or not can be detected by the installer.
Desktop/Server usages can be quite fuzzy and you can't really determine
which services to run based on such simplistic questions.

  And having these three different
> platforms means different needed services. Which precisely are these
> need not to be known by the person who is questioned. But there are also
> services we cannot know if user will need it or not, but still has such
> names, that user cannot guess for what they are. Cups is one example.
> Many users do not want this by default (they don't have a printer
> connected to their PC), but others do, even if they are just ordinary
> users, knowing nothing about services. If we ask them, do you want to
> turn printer support on, he will know the answer. That is my point, I
> hope it is clear enough.

Cups and many other services can just be started on demand. Look up Dbus
system activation.

http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=93

Rahul