My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...

Stewart Adam s.adam at diffingo.com
Mon Sep 3 19:56:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 11:03 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Stewart Adam <s.adam at diffingo.com> wrote:
> > That's what I'm saying - Letting the user select is nice. Some machine's
> > fans will blare, others not. Some Desktop CPU have throttle states,
> > others none or not enough to make a big change.
>
> we have a way to select services... its called system-config-services
> and its in the System->Administration menu.  There's absolutely no
> compelling reason to move the selection dialog for services into the
> install process.
>
> -jef
I in no way want to offend the coders system-config-services as it's a
great tool but honestly when I took my first look at it I wasn't so sure
what it all meant and I doubt new users will either. Besides being
confused about all the runlevels and things each initscript has it's own
status message and the descriptions of the services aren't always so
clear.

Duplicating s-c-s into firstboot would be pointless; I think what Martin
was trying to say was that a the services we enable now as a "just
incase" like apmd, cpuspeed, the rpc batch could go into a "Do you
actually need these?" list. A simple checkmark with clear, one-lined
descriptions.

Stewart