ocaml-lablgl problems · Re: rawhide report: 20070904 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Sep 4 13:59:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:31:10 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > What you call "fedora-development repo" is the frozen repo, whereas
> > in koji there is a newer build of ocaml-lablgl:
>
> Is there documentation anywhere about these different repos?  Naively I
> thought that the devel/ subdirectory must correspond in some way to the
> development repo, but obviously that's not the case.

It _is_ the case. Except when there is a freeze. F8 Test2 was frozen
on Aug 29th. That means the repo was frozen. Builds from devel/ after
that date stay in koji and are not released into the development repo
unless you request rel-eng to do that:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/TestFreezePolicy

When the freeze is done, builds that have piled up in koji
automatically enter the development repo again.

The problem is that despite the freeze of the repo, koji continues to
build against the very latest builds from devel/ because it creates
new _internal_ repositories from the latest packages, including newer
broken ones which are not in the public development repo because of
the freeze policy. During the freeze, packagers can break devel in
koji, and the broken deps report doesn't know about it because it
only examines the public [frozen] repo.

This is what has happened with ocaml-lablgl. It was built in koji
after the freeze and is available in the koji buildroots for F8
development, but not yet in the public development repo (aka rawhide).

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I would also suggest forming a ocaml SIG since it seems to be a large
> > set of packages handled by a variety of different maintainers.  You all
> > should work together on this framework and prevent these things from
> > happening.
>
> We have one ... we are even talking to each other about this problem.
> The problem is that neither of us understands how to fix this.

You need to find out which contents of the ocaml-lablgl package cause
these "Provides", and if it is not a build/configuration problem,
possibly you need to filter them out with customised
find-provides/find-requires scripts. I assume the scripts in the ocaml
main package are used to create the ocaml(Foo) Provides.