Goal: Increased Modularity?

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Sep 4 20:31:18 UTC 2007

On 09/04/2007 12:57 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Richi Plana (myfedora at richip.dhs.org) said:
>> For instance, if I desired to come up with a spin that doesn't have
>> Sendmail, why must I give up fetchmail, mutt or tor?
>
> Because they *require* a MTA to deliver/send the mail, at least in their
> default configurations

Seems to be the perfect case for a "Suggests" tag.
dpkg/apt has had it for a long time and I find it
very benefical.

It would also solve things such as mkinitrd claming a
hard dependency on lvm and dmraid for installation
ordering purposes.

Now that RPM is under active development again,
would such a new feature be possible?

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/