Python 3.0

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 4 20:32:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 11:51 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/4/07, David G. Mackay <mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > No offense, but it seems that you have set the standards for the compat
> > maintainer far higher than Fedora or the python authors are willing to
> > meet.  It seems to be a disingenuous method of denying compat packages
> > while claiming that Fedora hasn't done so.
>
> I don't necessarily think its unreasonable to set the bar higher for compat.
> Most of the work to fix the bugs in any package is done as part of the
> on-going development process that the upstream developers dictate. We

So, why is it that the python developers can dictate that the bugs in
2.4.4 which is in the currently supported FC6 distro, won't be fixed for
FC6, but Zope developers can't say they need to use python2.4.x?

> strive to be in tune with that upstream process.. as a project. When
> we introduce compat packages we are taking a step away from the normal
> upstreaming process. Compat packages cannot rely on the forward
> momentum of upstream developers, nor can we be as confident that the
> work being done in the compat space is going to be applicable beyond
> our project.  As a result there is an explicit need for the maintainer
> to take on a heavier burden of accountability, in recognition that we
> are choosing to extend the servicable lifetime of a codebase that the
> upstream developers themselves are no longer interested in.

Why in the world would you assume that a compat package would suddenly
develop problems when its usage base has most likely shrunken
considerably?  And, I'm sorry, but if you don't mind that the bugs
aren't going to be fixed for the live version (and yes, I understand
that the python developers don't consider 2.4.4 to be live, FC6 users
do) then it's very much a double standard to insist that they be fixed
for a compat package that's going to be used by a much smaller group for
a specific purpose.

Dave