Goal: Increased Modularity?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 21:38:29 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/4/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone considered a system that 'makes sense' for multiuser
>> operation where different users want different alternative targets at
>> once - or the same user wants alternative JVMs for different
>> applications at the same time?
>
> Are you suggesting that the alternatives system, in association with
> shell PATH variables isn't adequate enough for a user who knows enough
> about things such as sendmail alternatives to reconfigure to their
> hearts content?

MTA's are sort-of system wide by nature, since only one thing can be
listening on the inbound port.  I'm more concerned with different JVMs
since it is fairly likely that some users/applications won't be
satisfied with included version(s), and some apps that you might want to
run at the same time require different JVM versions.

> I'm pretty sure alternatives allows for per-user
> configurations, into per-user defined paths for executables and
> manpages and what not.

I haven't found documentation for the alternatives system that explains
it at that level, and I haven't had a strong enough stomach to wade my
way through the multi-level symlink morass to figure out what the right
values for JAVA_HOME and PATH should be to execute any specific JVM
version.  Is it really designed to handle that?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com