Can't even rebuild ocaml-labgl

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 11:32:23 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:48:50 +0100
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=147396
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=147398&name=root.log
>>
>> This is plain weird.  It seems to me that someone could create a
>> package with a bogus "Provides: glibc" which was otherwise
>> uninstallable and bring the whole distribution to a halt.  Is there
>> not a way to say "I do _not_ want this package, whatever that package
>> may claim about its provides"?
>
> I think what might be best here is to just untag the improperly built
> package, and replacing it with an older version.  Can you send mail to
> 'rel-eng at fedoraproject.org' with what build needs to "go away" and
> which build should take it's place?  It's just a simple case of
> buildroot maintenance.

I think the easiest thing is going to be if rel-eng could just delete
ocaml-lablgl & ocaml-lablgl-devel from the buildroot (and any
dependencies: possibly ocaml-lablgtk, freetennis if they are there too).

The ocaml-lablgl package which is in there at the moment has a
collection of bogus "Provides" which are actually provided by the base
ocaml-runtime package.  AIUI because strlen ("ocaml-labgl") < strlen
("ocaml-runtime"), the bogus package "wins".

That will allow me to rebuild all the other ocaml packages, which have
been failing for over a week now, and then we can look at why it was
that ocaml-lablgl got the wrong "Provides".  There must be a problem
with the custom ocaml-find-provides.sh script that we use, but to be
honest I've never seen it fail this way at any other time so I'm not
sure what happened.

Rich.