Goal: Increased Modularity?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Sep 5 16:46:40 UTC 2007

Originally, mine when I was active @jpp and was packaging jvms

>  And what's it called?

You know, you're the first person to ask this question I know of:)

The layout and its intent is described in the jpackage-1.5-policy
document shipped with jpackage utils. IIRC I wrote this file a week
after baking the layout and the associated shell scripts, so that would
date its definition around March 10, 2003.

I never thought of giving it a name. Today that would be JPackage
conventions for most people.

> It seems Fedora
> and jpackage both honor this convention (and alternatives uses it. Or
> maybe it's the other way around ... this convention uses was designed
> around alternatives).

Fedora Java packaging as it's known today is a JPackage fork
(periodically rebased). The Red Hat Java group originally started from
its own package repository IIRC, but struggled to package the Java world
and decided later to use a JPackage base as its repo was more complete.

--
Nicolas Mailhot