Goal: Increased Modularity?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 5 21:09:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 14:55 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 15:34 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > OK, but how about the answer for the known universe of JVM's included in
> >   the fedora/RHEL repositories plus the jpackage repository, including
> > the ones that don't actually contain the JVM, but do determine the
> > location where it will be installed?
>
> This is what I'm starting to learn: supposedly, something like
> "repoquery --whatprovides java-sdk" or "repoquery --whatprovides
> java-jre" is the way to go. It's a virtual Provides thing, but when I
> checked, JPackage's packages didn't come up (perhaps because they don't
> provide binary packages or maybe the virtual Provides).
>
> The rpm, yum and repo query mechanisms coupled with their virtual
> provides are proving to be pretty cool.
>
> P.S. Change of Subject: and thread?

I just added a patch to  repoquery to allow it to handle arbitrary url
as repos. So you can:

repoquery --repofrompath=http://some/repo/I/want/toquery
--repofrompath=/some/local/path/also --repoid=toquery --repoid=also -q
-a

and it will grab the metadata from those to repositories and query them
instead.

-sv