Goal: Increased Modularity?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 6 07:54:04 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 6 septembre 2007 08:57, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> How can that be
> if you don't keep track of the JVMs themselves?  Or if the packages are
> supposed to be usable with unpackaged JVMs?

They are *not* supposed to be usable with unpackaged JVMs. Sorry. JPP
won't maintain a huge pile of workarounds just because vendors are too
lazy to follow common conventions and stick to them. Sometimes people
release an adaptation layer for a specific vendor jvm and yes this
layer is specific to this jvm but that's about it.

> I don't particularly care how the files are managed or where they
> live.

Then you won't ever understand why something works or not and how to
fix your problems. The default is "just use the system jvm" if you
don't want to follow the defaults you have to understand the
conventions. That means reading the docs not deciding beforehand
what's relevant and what's not.

--
Nicolas Mailhot