Goal: Increased Modularity?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Sep 6 17:35:07 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 18:26:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger
> <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> As of 1.5.15 the world turned inside out and upside down and mutt
>> grew support for SMTP:
[...]
> That news is a shocker. A long time ago, I used to follow the dev
> list and people seemed pretty adamant about it. (For what I think
> are good reasons.)

Yeah, I figured that the change would be a surprise to some long time
mutt users.

>> Are there a lot of mutt users who aren't capable of doing the
>> needed configuration to match their setup?  It seems like one
>> package that could survive without a "hold the users hand" approach
>> to the possible things it might depend on.  ;-)
>
> Where I work we have one or two. Professors who used command line
> from way back, but just knew enough about that to get their stuff
> done. Now they are reluctant to change.

FWIW, I think that the smtp support will make it easier for users like
those professors to configure mutt.  Most folks are acustomed to
plugging in the info on where to send as well as where to receive mail
in their MUA's.  It seems scads simpler to set an smtp url than to
setup sendmail.

Anyway, now you've got a heads up on the change so if you're the guy
that'll be helping out the professors you'll know what's coming. ;-)

(Thanks to Miroslav Lichvar for updating the mutt rpm, BTW.)

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise
enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
    -- Edward Abbey