Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Sep 8 14:34:07 UTC 2007

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>>> Heh :)
>>> Have you ever tried to install, say mp3-decoding plugins into
>>> GStreamer? There are a 4 subpackages with nothing-said-about-content
>>> names as gstreamer-plugins-bad, gstreamer-plugins-good etc.
>>> If I grep through "yum list" results I see nothing in this case but I
>>> never heard that anybody wants to change this situation.
>
>> Well, the above is really a bug to file for livna - but again - ask them
>> to add provides.
>
> In case of mp3 - yes. But what about flac, ogg, wavpack etc?
>
> [petro at Sulaco ~]$ sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-ogg
> fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> updates                   100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Nothing to do
> [petro at Sulaco ~]$

Well in case off gstreamer-plugins-ugly from that other repo it has:
Provides:       gstreamer-mad = %{version}-%{release}

I agree, not very usefull to a casual user, but I think we all agree the
current codec situation is a pain. With that said I'm all for virtual provides
for gstreamer plugins to make things easier on the end user, the only problem
is what do we put in those virtual provides?

Regards,

Hans