Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 8 21:50:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 12:09 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>         But then I got a comment to the review it was already in
>         Fedora in kdesdk. But
>         then why on earth doesn't kdesdk have a Provides umbrello so
>         that yum install
>         umbrello works? Or even better an umbrello sub-package?
>
> Better search would solve this problem, too:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg01151.html
>
> (I'm not sure there's a hard line for when you basically have to give
> up on categorization/naming standards and just rely on search, but I
> think the Fedora package collection is past it)

You don't want 'yum search' to always search every file in the
distribution. Searching every file will just take a long time. And, in
fact, you will routinely find that what you're searching for in the
package is never explicitly listed in any of the file lists.

so that leaves us two options:
  - we include some sort of keyword tag in the pkg metadata
  - we include some sort of keyword metadata file in the repodata

Doing either of those and having yum search them if they are available
is do-able. We talked about this before, iirc. We just need to decide
which one is more palatable and do it.

-sv