gnome-control-center not in gnome menus?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Sep 9 03:14:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 22:01 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Was playing with a F8test2-ish install, looking to set up sound,
> network, etc - in my personal opinion, the various things scattered
> around different menu items seem confusing to me.  Firing up
> gnome-control-center puts them all in one place that seems more
> intuitive to me, but that's not in any menu item I can find... is there
> a reason for this?

The Gnome control center has been through more than one cycle going from
shell to individual capplets and back...

We looked at the latest incarnation of the shell when it was introduced
during the Gnome 2.18 devel cycle, and found that it is not really ready
for prime time. There are numerous small interface issues, e.g. the
confusion between focus and prelight.

After we hid it from the Fedora menus, the upstream Gnome agreed and
went back to the individual capplets in the menu for 2.18.
Unfortunately, the shell has not seen much (or any) attention during the
2.20 cycle.

Anyway, we do install the shell, so can just put it in your menus if you
like it.