kickoff - alternative KDE Menu

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 12:39:05 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007, Kelly <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, September 8, 2007 10:28:20 am Johan Cwiklinski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've tried to package kickoof, a KDE's menu remplacement (listed on the
> > KDE SIG wiki page).
> >
> > The problem is kickoff is not really a new KDE menu, but a patched
> > kdebase/kicker.
> > So the package will not install new files and give user possibility to
> > switch from base menu to kickoff, but it will replace numerous kdebase
> > existing files.
> >
> > Suse Linux (who develops kickoff) have it integrated directly in kdebase
> > (so the old KDE menu is not available I guess).
> >
> > My question is what must I do for this package ?
> >
> > - I don't think direct integration into kdebase is a such good idea
> > (since there is no stable release for kickoff), and i'm not able to
> > patch kdebase package.
> > - Is there a way to backup existing files, so that base menu will
> > reappear if kickoff is uninstalled ?
> > - Or maybe this kind of package could not be build in respect of our
> > standards...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Johan
>
> You won't be able to get Kickoff to work properly in Fedora; it's been tried,
> and tried, and tried.  Kickoff has dependencies on other packages that are in
> openSUSE but not Fedora...
>
> But if you still want to try, then I believe the right answer is to put
> Provides: kdebase in the package.

Won't that cause a race condition? If kicker's Provides: is versioned,
if it's newer it will upgrade kdebase, and if it's older, the next yum
update will reinstall kdebase.

If it's not versioned, I'm not sure -- the first might not happen, but
kdebase will probably be reinstalled if a KDE package depends on a
versioned kdebase?

--
Michel