FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-09-06

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Sep 9 17:22:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 12:52 -0400, <another person I will not vote for
in FESCO elections> wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Yes, it had been a closed list and maintainers did get automatically
> > subscribed to it - The FESCO of the time this was decided, this approach
> > wise - I never did - But THEM decided otherwise.
>
> So essentially you're agreeing that the way -maintainers was handled/set
> up by the old FESCo was wrong.
Correct.

>  Which is basically what the current
> FESCo decided.  We can go on for days discussing various ways to fix it,
> but we decided that since it was broken, removing the broken bit was the
> best course of action for now since it provided a disservice to many
> people as evidenced by the complaints on the various lists about it by
> the very people who IMO we were trying to target.
IMO, the current FESCO's decision to kill "maintainers@" is as wrong as
mandatory to all "package maintainers".

>   If you have a better
> solution for lists to actually serve the needs of the community, please
> propose it to FESCo.
I would keep maintainers, but make subscription mandatory to all
maintainers and "kill all *announce lists".

Alternative would be to kill all "devel/testing lists" in favor of one
single list all maintainers and devs can not avoid being subscribed too.

Ralf