DKMS and old kernel modules

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Sep 11 13:33:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:16:23PM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Ah, ok, I slightly misunderstood the use of mkrpm - I was under the
> impression that DKMS could build an rpm of the kernel module on the
> users machine (not in a repository buildsystem) and then install that.
> I.e. dkms, when it sees a new kernel on the users machine compiles the
> kernel module and packages at as an rpm and then installs it. Would
> that be implementable?

sure, it's just a matter of code.  There's also the secondary problem
of rpm being non-recursive.  e.g. you'd have to do this from outside
of a running rpm transaction, such as in the dkms_autoinstaller.  DKMS
couldn't do it from the proposed kernel package postinst hook that's
called by the kernel RPM's %post, which is where you'd really want it
to be called from.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux