udev performance

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Tue Sep 11 15:06:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 16:02 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:55:25 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> >
> >> modprobe is parsing its configuration/dependency files every time it
> >> is called.
> >
> > What else should it do?
> >

> Cache the result in a dump of the resulting binary structs in disk (ugly). Or
> much better: have a run as daemon mode where one can stuff new modules names to
> probe to it through a pipe, that would avoid a zillion forks and execs too,

> or
> maybe split most of the code into a lib and use that lib from udev?

I kind of like this last option myself.  You don't really want to dupe
the modprobe code in udev, and have two separate code bases to maintain.
I don't really see a need for a daemon since 99% of modloads are done
upon boot, plus now you have a pipe/socket/whatever to load mods and the
security implications that has.  Making libmodprobe.so that they all
use, centralized code-base and all of that just seems to make some good
sense.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>