Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 11 16:51:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 09:03 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Right-  yum can install using provides as the key.
>
> This is why I suggested packages containing more than one program should
> provide the name of the other programs explicitly.
>
> Then:
>
>  yum install umbrello
>
> would work.

Would there ever be a danger where overriding package names (via virtual
packages) might result in ambiguities? So package names would now mean
program names, as well? Would there be a problem if a real package were
to be added to the repo (or some repo)? What would yum (or the resolver)
base its decision on? I'm not too comfortable with overriding it using
the full path ("/usr/bin/umbrello") but at least it disambiguates much
better than the other. (And I figure it's too much to put in a language
for specifying other parameters such as "yum install
--program-name=umbrello" or "--lib=c").

Just posing questions.
--

Richi Plana