Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:08:20 UTC 2007

On 11/09/2007, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 09:03 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Right-  yum can install using provides as the key.
> >
> > This is why I suggested packages containing more than one program should
> > provide the name of the other programs explicitly.
> >
> > Then:
> >
> >  yum install umbrello
> >
> > would work.
>
> Would there ever be a danger where overriding package names (via virtual
> packages) might result in ambiguities? So package names would now mean
> program names, as well? Would there be a problem if a real package were
> to be added to the repo (or some repo)? What would yum (or the resolver)

If someone were to provide umbrello as a separate package while the
kdesdk package from Fedora still contains it as well, you have a
problem anyway, since it will also provide /usr/bin/umbrello.

Unless the 3rd-party umbrello was packaged with this in mind, and
install in some other prefix.

Regards,

--
Michel