Announcing rpmfusion

Jaroslaw Gorny jaroslav at aster.pl
Tue Sep 11 19:37:08 UTC 2007

Tuesday 11 of September 2007 20:09:16 Jeff Spaleta napisał(a):
> On 9/11/07, Jaroslaw Gorny <jaroslav at aster.pl> wrote:
> > Another example: inclusion of mp3 support libraries, but without
> > rebuilding audio players.
> >
> > If this is the case, wouldn't such a repo be useless?
>
> not for audio applications which are smart enough to know how to do
> detect availability of optional libraries at runtime or use a plugin
> architecture.  And it seems..lame...to me to have a multimedia
> application can't detect new codecs on the system at runtime.

Are they lame or not, it's not my point here. They are in distro, so maybe
they're not so lame after all.
Simple kde player included in kdemultimedia-extras (noatun) won't handle mp3
without rebuild. And this is the default player in KDE. If somebody just
downloads mp3 file and clicks it - noatun starts and stops immediately. It
can be frustrating for user to download all 'fusion' packages responsible for
mp3 handling, and still not being able to play a file.

K3b is in distro too. Although I have libmad installed (freshrpms), k3b
complains that no support for mp3 decoding can be found. So I guess, k3b
should be rebuilt with libmad-devel in order to use this feature.

But these are only examples - maybe not the lucky ones.
What I'm asking for is a general 'rule':

We provide foo-lib. There's some package that can be rebuilt with foo-lib and
gain some extra features, but we don't do this.
Is it really the best solution?

regards,
--
Jaroslaw Gorny