Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Sep 11 19:42:31 UTC 2007

Ray Strode <halfline <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Also I think it is a very bad idea to ship packages with a clearly seperate
> > upstream in some kinda bundle form.
> Couldn't agree more.  For a while we shipped gcalctool and zenity in
> gnome-utils.  it was a maintainability nightmare.

That's a different situation: you added those extra tarballs to the package.
The upstream kdesdk tarball actually _contains_ Umbrello and builds it with no
extra magic. (That magic would be needed _not_ to build it there, e.g. the
DO_NOT_COMPILE hack.) It is _also_ released separately. And it is maintained
upstream as part of kdesvn, the separate releases are actually cut from the KDE
3.5 SVN branch as well.

        Kevin Kofler