Making the xine-lib-extras nondependent on xine-lib-arts?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Sep 11 20:09:05 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> I asked about that a while ago, but Lennart didn't think it's a good idea at
> the moment so I left it in -extras.
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-August/msg01411.html

But he also said he needs to look into it because KDE will probably need
it. ;-) Indeed, I think Xine should really not only ship the PulseAudio output
plugin by default, but also default to it (*), if PulseAudio is to be a real
default. For KDE 3, this will affect at least Amarok and Kaffeine. For KDE 4,
it will also affect Phonon (phonon-xine is the default/best backend and the one
included in kdebase-runtime) and thus the KDE 4 versions of essentially all the
apps which currently use aRts.

(Disclaimer: I have not tested the Xine PulseAudio plugin yet. IMHO, the
important part there is not "Does the code look good?", but "Does it work
well?".)

        Kevin Kofler

(*) It is quite possible/likely we also need to tweak the defaults of the KDE
apps using Xine there. But this doesn't mean xine-lib itself shouldn't also
default to it. ;-)