Announcing rpmfusion

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:05:38 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
>> Thanks for this split. Hopefully we will able to link to the free part
>> from within Fedora.
>>

> Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to. The stuff in the free part (or
> most of it, at least) is going to be exactly the stuff which Legal is most
> uncomfortable with: Free Software, but patent-encumbered in the US.

There's a wide spectrum between "right in Fedora" and "not acknowledging
its existence."

Whereas before Red Hat became subject to liability for merely saying the
word "Livna" in public, we might be able to move to a tacit and
well-disclaimed "suggestion" that users use the Free half of rpmfusion.
So we could go from having to say "Never heard of it" to being able to
say "Its over there, and I know about it, but I really can't recommend
that you use it (by clicking this button right here)"