open-vm-tools

Brandon Holbrook fedora at theholbrooks.org
Wed Sep 12 08:02:22 UTC 2007

Hey all,

So vmware announced to us this morning at vmworld that they are open
sourcing their VMware Tools product; releasing their immediate code
under GPL, and gradually moving development to SourceForge's SVN
servers.  You can get the tarball at http://open-vm-tools.sf.net/  As an
every day user of vmware tools in Fedora, I'd love to be involved in
packaging open-vm-tools (I've already compiled it several times and am
quite pleased), so normally this would look like an opportunity to put
together some SPECs and submit reviews.  However, in vmware's
announcement this morning they had some reaction quotes from their Linux
distro partners, including RedHat, whom they informed about this
decision several days ago.  So since this particular package involves
RedHat corporate partnerships and quotes and stuff like that, should I
wait for RH employees to package this and then request myself be added
as a comaintainer, or is this still up for grabs?

-Brandon